How many times have you resolved to go on a diet or hunt for a more fulfilling career, only to find yourself reverting to your old habits within a few days? While you might be
Motivated to make significant changes in your life, it’s also critical to employ productivity-boosting tactics.
Fortunately, there is a quick and easy technique that produces dramatic results for free. The key is to make your objectives more specific.
New York University psychologist Peter Gollwitzer, for example, experimented with ways to make students more inclined to complete an assignment. He discovered that students were twice as likely to complete an essay if they planned when and where they would do it ahead of time.
Consider how much more you could achieve if you stuck to your goals. Use these suggestions to help you strengthen your intentions.
Setting SMART Goals
You’ve probably heard of the acronym SMART for goal setting. Because it works, it is one of the most popular methods.
Use the following SMART techniques:
- Be precise. Instead of leaving your objectives ambiguous, state them explicitly. It may be difficult to tell when you’re getting in shape, but you’ll be able to tell when you lose 10 pounds or run a marathon.
- Track your development. Make benchmarks to keep you on track.
Having interim milestones will offer you something to aim for every day when working on a long-term project.
- Make it achievable. Recognize your capabilities. Make your goals difficult enough to be relevant, but yet achievable if you put in the necessary time and effort.
- Concentrate on the end product. Differentiate between the method and the results. While it is essential to enjoy the journey, you should also have something to show for your efforts.
- Establish a time restriction. Working toward a deadline will help you stay focused on your objectives. You’ll be less prone to let daily responsibilities get in your way.
Other Ways to Strengthen Your Goals
Of course, there are numerous strategies to boost your productivity.
Use the following tactics to emphasize your objectives:
- State your intentions. Making others aware of your plans increases the pressure in a positive way. You’ll feel more responsible for living up to your claims.
- Seek assistance. When you’re willing to take help and comments, you can do more. Collaborate with a buddy or coworker who shares your interests. Thank your family for their support.
- Make your selections automatically. Make wise selections a habit. Speaking up in meetings on a frequent basis will make you less nervous about voicing what’s on your mind.
- Reduce distractions. Turn off the television and limit your internet time. Free up your free time for more meaningful pursuits.
- Foster a growing mindset. Keep in mind that your brains and talents are not fixed quantities over which you have no influence. When you apply yourself in any area where you want to stretch your skills, you can become smarter and more accomplished.
- Control your stress. Stress, on the other hand, might derail your plans. Make sure to nourish your body and mind with nutritious food, regular exercise, and adequate rest so you can meet new challenges.
- Give yourself a reward. Provide yourself with incentives along the road. When you deliver an impressive presentation, reward yourself with your favorite coffee drink. Take a vacation to commemorate your advanced degree.
- Be patient. Persistence pays off. Think long term and establish plans for dealing with challenges so you can get back up when you fall.
Set concrete goals and write them down if you want to be more successful.
Strengthening your goals will help you stay motivated and boost your chances of success.